Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Halloween and Growing Up

My son almost didn't go trick or treating this year. He's 13 now, and he's over 5'10" so he looks a little old.

He was also behind on homework, so decided he wouldn't go trick or treating. He eventually got enough done that the desire to get out and have fun overwhelmed his dicipline, so in the end he did a little trick or treating.

I'm glad he did. He managed to get his school work done, although it was a struggle and he was up late. He's been a little out of sorts the last couple days due to lack of sleep (and probably too much sugar), and he's struggling with the decision to turn out for basketball.

He doesn't like falling behind on his schoolwork. I hope he manaeges to finish tryouts, but I understand why he may decide not too.

This is a normal part of growing up: learning to prioritize and discipline your behavior, making hard decisions that you may regret because you don't think you have enough time for all of your commitments. Tough but necessary lessons.

I wish he wasn't in a huge hurry to grow up, though. I still have fond memories of trick or treating until I was 15, and I've enjoyed going out with the kids and participating vicariously.

I suppose it's another milestone slipping past me almost unnoticed: all of my kids are just about done trick or treating for Halloween, now the oldest goes to parties and drinks to celebrate Halloween; I wish she invited me on occasion!

Oh well, there's always the chance of grandchildren...

No comments: