Saturday, September 25, 2010

Lead Front Door at the Vera


I'm writing this from the front door position at the Vera. Saturday night in April, several local rappers (Dyme Def, Logics, others) and Red Cafe from Brooklynn are performing tonight. I heard them warming up during sound check, they sound talented. I'm a little familiar with Dyme Def but not the rest, should be a good show with plenty of performers I've never had the chance to checkout before.
Working here reminds me a little of working at the Neptune Theater when I was a teenager. With music, rather than a movie, but a similar vibe: people trickle in looking forward to a show, the buzz of expectation, the thrill of a good show with the crowd getting into it.
I've probably seen more transcendent live music shows than movies but you can find powerful art in almost every creative endeavor on occasion, if you look for it. I keep looking and even if I rarely get the full effect - hair raising beauty that strikes to your heart and soul - I get enough positive feedback and good times to keep me coming back for more. And every now and then those choirs of angels show up - figuratively, anyways.

No comments: